Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Monday, February 6, 2012

The ticket into Lebanon....

We continued our conversation concerning the trip and expectations. He outlined that the main goal was to establish work for the population that was largely adept at hand work, but overall lacking in formal training using modern machinery. We continued talking for an hour or so and I asked a simple question,
" Would I fly into the airport in Beirut or elsewhere ?" There was what seemed like a longer than normal pause and he slowly answered.

Prime Minister Hariri was really liked by all the religious factions, my soon to be more distant, friend said, and as a gesture of good faith he would give me a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" to keep in my billfold. I guess I had a look on my face of disbelief as it was immediately explained that IF there was an altercation and I got caught up in the action, all I had to do was to give the GOOF JFC to my captors and they would let me go. I asked rather discretely, how would I get into such a situation...??? I was THEN told how I would get into Lebanon.

It seemed the only way to do it was to travel to Israel, leave my passport there, and be taken into the country by the Prime Ministers friends. BUT !! No worry !!! You will have the GOOF JFC !!! How much safer could it BE !! You don't really need a passport..Show the card.....YOU'RE FREE !! Have you ever had you life pass before your eyes ?? What m I doing here, I thought. Images of shot up walls. burned out cars, empty streets, and the evening news filled my immediate open brain spaces....the conversation didn't end then, but very soon after.  My travel agent had given me the pictures of the city, some letters signed by Hariri, and a business card....I headed home. We didn't converse again. Several years later I came across the business card and called the number. It was answered by a man and I explained who I was and referenced our conversations concerning the trip. There was a long silence on the other end....who is this ??...came the voice.....I don't think I know you......click. It was the number on the card, and a new mystery. What if.....

1 comment:

  1. ...Mike, this is great stuff. Are these 2 blog entries all that you've written on this story, these remembrances? I'd love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete