Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Professional Photographers of the Ozarks

Last week I attended the Professional Photographers of the Ozarks Convention/Seminar in Eureka Springs Arkansas. The organization was started in the 60's by two groups of professional photographers, one located in Springfield and the other in Joplin. I joined it in 1972 after I opened my studio in Carthage. At this time I also started to realize that by attending the seminars and competing in the print competitions my work would improve. I learned as I attended and soon was asked to become a Board member of the Missouri Professional Photographers. I had also been asked to become a member of the P.P.O. Board, which I did. In 1980 I became the President of the P.P.O. and by that time we ( The Board ) had fostered the organization into a group of 300 or so Professional Photographers from Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. Our Speakers came from all over the US and it was a great time. The conventions were held twice a year and were a blast. I have had some conversation with the powers that be that it may be time to get on the board again. Membership needs to be strengthened and the programs more intuitive to the professional. I think I am going to give it serious consideration.

At the meeting there is a print competition that brings out the best of the best. The competition is judged by 5 judges and discussion frequently follow the initial display of the images. Sometimes these discussions can carry on for thirty minutes or more, it's pretty interesting conversation. I was fortunate to enough to hang three prints, which scored high enough to do so. Perhaps my favorite of the three is this client, photographed in Kansas City.

It was fun reconnecting with friends I've had for years, and being in competition again. I'm looking forward to the next convention in the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment