Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Thursday, August 4, 2011

Never say never continued..........

We partied on the L1011 all the way back to K.C. and it was a ball. Although we didn't see the launch, we had been there and that is something I'll always remember. A year or two later I was asked to be part of a three person Show to generate funds for the Methodist Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida and I jumped at the chance. The show was to be up for a week with a black tie opening on the first night. It was held on the top floor of the Hospital that was totally glass walled. Pretty snazzy......

I drove down in my restored 1951 Chevy Panel truck....the Video Van...it had a lot of room. I spent my first day in Jacksonville setting up the show and pricing all of the work. I had large prints, small prints, color and black and white. It was a pretty good representation of what my "personal" work was all about. What was really surprising is that I sold out ! I would have NEVER thought that would happen. On the second or third day I had read in the paper that there was to be a Shuttle launch that day. Only because the sun comes up in the East did I realize the direction to look. I was on the top floor of the hospital in the gallery looking toward Cape Canaveral when a rocket seemed to jump above the trees in the distance and streak toward the sky. This machine didn't rise as I had ever seen one rise on television. Because the cameras would focus on the rocket almost exclusively the viewer is robbed of the actual speed of the climb. That rocket was makin' hay. I have never seen anything move so fast. My vantage point on the top floor, gave me a crystal clear view of the rocket until it disappeared into space.

There are images I'll never forget, some of people, places, and events dear to my heart. I don't think I'll ever forget that mental picture of a leap into Space......as we said in the 60's,
"Farm Trout".

No comments:

Post a Comment