Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Last weekend....the shoots....

I got up early Saturday morning as I wanted to be down at the "Breakfast with Santa" location early and be set up ready for the hoards of people I expected. I have been in the business long enough to know that Murphy DOES exist and if something is going to go wrong....it will happen where ever I am. I got the background up, lights placed and fired off a test shot on the exposure. Everything was in place and looked good.

In the kitchen were the cooks, accessory equipment they brought to cook and keep breakfast warm, and wait staff. People were starting to filter in with their kids and breakfast was being served, lookin' good, gonna work. I then noticed that the modeling light was out on my main, fill, and background lights. I checked and there was no power to my lights, period. I found the administrator I had been working with telling her that we evidently blew a fuse. She called the maintenance man who was on his way in and told him about the problem. He said he would be there shortly.

Concerned....yes I was concerned.....but Santa hadn't arrived yet so I was OK...thirty minutes go by....no maintenance man...but no Santa either. More people and kids.... Starting to sweat bullets but still O.K. Can't photograph kids with Santa if there is no Santa. Walking a thin line....The administrator then hears from Santa...Mrs. Claus has fallen the ambulance is on the way. I see dollar bills sprouting wings and headed south for the winter. Twenty minutes go by, I hear that Santa AND Mrs. Claus are on the way. There is hope.

Santa and Mrs. Clause arrive shaken, but in good spirits. Without my studio lights I decide to keep the show going I use my Nikon 900 flash which can do a good job, but will necessitate a bit more work on the digital negatives to get what I want.....but will work. The maintenance man shows up ten minutes later...lights are back on. YEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW !!

In an effort to break in my new Marketing Director I brought her along. What a great way to get her feet wet. In this profession you seem to have to constantly be thinking on your feet and she saw that. We had a couple of people cut in line, frown frown, but in order to remain some semblance of peace, good will, and Christmas cheer, we moved right through it and kept on going. We extended the shoot time as people were still coming in and I was having a really good time. I was able to produce, for some Parents, the picture that will come in VERY useful as their children age.

Several kids had a minds eye image of a Santa that evidently did not meet the reality they were facing. One shove by Mom or Dad closer to the big red suit and the kids lost it. In every case I looked at the parent and asked what they wanted to do........."TAKE IT !!", was the reply. When the kids are 17 and step out of line, I know in my heart that one of my images of them with Santa, will be the threat and promise. Straighten up..or you and Santa WILL be in your Senior yearbook. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment