Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A favorite image..

Shooting as much as I do and having the opportunities I have had has resulted in my seeing things I never really thought existed. In 1987 I had applied to American Field Service to go to China to teach English and also learn Chinese. My thinking was that my understanding Capitalism and understanding and fluently speaking Chinese would be more of an asset to business entities than a China man speaking English that has no personal grasp of how Capitalism works. Just a thought..... I got my reply back from them of Thanks but... No Thanks. I was sitting in my studio on a Saturday shortly after receiving the news in January and the phone rang. It was a friend of mine Paul Ness from Kodak. After a bit of small talk he asked me what I was doing in July. I looked at my calendar and I was open.  He then asked me if I wanted to go to China for the month. I was floored. He explained that Kodak had arranged an exchange of professional photographers from China the U.S., Canada, and Australia...did I want to go ? The words fell out of my mouth..absolutely. Promising to get back to me later he said to clear my Calendar for July.

As the date grew closer I started rethinking my decision. I was located in a town of 11,000 with a market area of about 60,000. Summer is good for Senior Portraits, Weddings, Family Portraits, and booking for the  Fall of all of the above. Could I possibly afford to miss these dates. I work 7 days a week as I must be available for commercial as well as portrait clients. It can sometimes run me to my wits end, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  My store front would be closed for a month. Dark....adios....not there....should I do it.

The appointed day arrived to fly to Seattle to go and I went. It was the most amazing experience of my life and it changed how I saw my business and understood my potential.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment