Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Don Quixote rides again !!!!!!

As I said yesterday we were traveling the"Blue Highways" across the flatness of Kansas on the way to Denver. We had marveled at the dinosaurs in the front yard of a farmhouse that were true works of art and I really thought they was cool and unique. Didn't expect much more from the long flat.......just keep it between the bar ditches...thank you Kieth Hall. Bar ditches are the proper name for the drainage ditches that run along country roads...Kieth says so. Radio playing and cruising and suddenly to my right in the middle of a field, I spot a Cubist Buffalo.

Buffalo brown in color, and an angular shape as if Picasso had drawn it, the buffalo seemed to be running across the field. Closer visual inspection revealed a Cubist Indian riding a Cubist horse, shooting Cubist Arrows from a Cubist Bow. There are a lot of angles to the story.........I slowed down.

Taking in the total view of the pasture I realized that I was driving beside another Kansas Field of Art ! There was a Windmill which was patterned after the ones you see in Holland, WITH A GUY IN FULL ARMOUR RIDING A HORSE CHARGING AT IT....DON QUIXOTE !! There were 4 excellent sculptures running down the hill, Pan playing his flute led the group with a boy doing cartwheels, a girl skipping, and a boy pushing a hoop with a stick. He was taking the children from the village. Absolutely astonishing.

All of this really makes me remember some of the people I attended College with.I was always amazed by the sculptors vision and talent for making the vision reality.
Whoever made these sculptures thankfully had the foresight and talent to capture the visions and make them real enough to share them with strangers on the road. What a great gift.......and totally unexpected.

Tomorrow.........the maddest guy in the world.........or at least in Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment