Translate

CONTACT US...


Phone
1-918-760-1575

email mspeermorgan@netscape.net



Monday, January 2, 2012

The new year .......2012

I did something I today I thought I'd never do and have struggled with quite frankly for years.
I boxed up my RB67 Camera, 4 lenses, three backs, filters, and prism viewer and sent it to NY to find a new home. My film days are getting very close to being over. I still have my Linholf 4 x 5, lenses, and film holders but they are probably shaking in their boots. That set may be next.

The digital revolution has been so encompassing that virtually no present media source has not been changed. First it was sound, then printing, now imagery, still and motion. All along the path the computerization of processes have leaped out of the bushes and complimented the production side of the creation. Not only in time savings, but creative innovation has been expanded.

This brings into the forefront the question of education and taste. It seems as though anyone can be a "photographer". Snapping a bunch of shots and then selecting the "best" doesn't really fill the bill. The nuances of the trade, from lighting, preconception, finishing, and client designed imagery, actually are the keynotes separating the pros from the wanna be's. But there we go, a client MUST be able to see the difference or the professional hasn't lived up to the expectations of the client OR his peers. I have a truly great profession that has allowed me to fulfill many of my life dreams taking me places that I thought I'd never see, meeting people that have been truly amazing. Primarily because I knew I could produce what I said I could in terms of imagery. I generally know in advance what I want as an end image/product and how to get there. That is becoming the lost art of photography.

When I'm looking for a certain feeling in an image I figure out in advance what the conditions should be like in a given environment to get me there. Then I need to figure out location, how to light for that location, the "style" of my client and time to shoot. This is why, during my consultations with my clients, I have so many questions. If I don't know what THEY want, how can I satisfy their wishes ? I love my job.....

No comments:

Post a Comment